New Detangling/Deep Conditioning Routine
Now that I am officially six months natural, I feel like I have a really good grasp of what works for my hair. While I know my curls thrive on a simple conditioner-heavy regimen, I am always tweaking how often I detangle, deep condition and cleanse my scalp. I have changed both of my detangle/deep conditioning & cleansing routines. Today, I want to focus on the detange/deep conditioning changes – I will get to the cleansing changes in an upcoming post, so stay tuned!
Okay, so I am the first to admit that I spend a lot of time on YT watching my favs for ideas. No need to re-create the wheel, right? I got this idea from LoveyAnneka on YouTube. She is one of my favorite naturals because her product choices are almost natural or homemade and inexpensive. I have posted her video below so that you can take a look. While I love her, she very rarely gives measurements for her concoctions so I decide on measurements that work for my length. So here is my take on her detangling method:
Here are the measurements & products I use on my TWA. Please increase the amounts or change the products depending on your length & curl pattern:
What You’ll Need:
- Spray bottle
- Wide Tooth Comb or Denman/Modified Denman Brush
What I Use:
- Tresseme Naturals Silicone Free Conditioner – 2 TBS
- Jojoba oil or another light oil – 1/2 TBS
- 1/2 spray bottle of warm water (for my spray bottle about 1 cup)
- Modified Denman Brush (every other row removed)
Step by Step Method:
- Part my hair in four and clip each section
- Starting in the back I spray the mixture to completely saturate the section
- Starting at my ends I detangle my hair working my way up to my roots
- Once the section is completely detangled, I squeeze the excess liquid from my hair and re-clip
- Move on to the next section
- Once all sections are finished, I jump in the shower and rinse my hair (while clips are still in)
- From here I move onto my cleansing (more on that later)
- After I cleanse, I use a mixture of my Tresseme Naturals & Kinky Curly leave-in and each of the four sections and twist my hair.
- I put on a plastic cap, my satin scarf & satin bonnet for the night
- Sometimes, I will wear my twist but covered with a scarf since my twists are still small (pic below):
I have tried this method for the last three weeks and I love it for many reasons. Here are few:
- It’s quick and easy to make
- It retains more products – I use far less conditioner than I did with my previous method (I am still using the bottle of Tresseme Naturals conditioner that I bought 5 months ago and it’s still more than 1/2 full!!)
- Cost effective – I am all about inexpensive
- Homemade creation/customizable – this can be made with any conditioner that you are currently using and any oil you have. Olive oil is too heavy for my hair so I tend to lean toward serums, Argan or Jojoba.
Need I say more???
Please check out LovelyAnneka’s video below and all of her other videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/lovelyanneka
P.S. I do not own the rights to this video 🙂
Thanks for stopping by!
My Natural Sistas DIY Leave In Detangler ReviewNovember 24th, 2015
Holy Grail Natural Hair ProductAugust 8th, 2015
Q&A Friday: Episode 4 – How to Moisturize Natural HairOctober 17th, 2014
Q&A Friday: Episode 3 – Can Color Change Your Curl Pattern?October 11th, 2014
Q & A Friday: Episode 2: Using Oil as a MoisturizerSeptember 12th, 2014