Day 28: 31 Days to Reset Your Life – Let Go of Your Past
I know it’s been a minute since my 31 days ended, but I mentioned in a previous post that the last few days were not just quick exercises. The last week really required thought and time, two things I’ve been limited on and I didn’t want to half step and not give 100%. But as with most self-improvement programs/exercises the time line is just a guide, each person and situation is different and you have to work it out as it suits you.
Now, with all that being said… on to Day 28. Day 28 is Let go of the past. Hmm… seems logical. You can’t really move forward if you are constantly looking behind or holding on to things that happened in the past. We all have a past and sometimes it’s not always good, but we have a choice to either learn from the bad and make better choices in the present or hold onto the past and use it as a crutch not to move forward in a positive way. We tend to let our past dictate our future and it doesn’t have to be that way.
The exercise is in three parts:
- Acknowledgement – set a time frame and in your notebook write all of the things you are holding onto from that point in time. It can be a year or 20 years, I would suggest you list ALL of the hurt that you have been holding onto no matter how far back it goes.
- Affirmation – For each item you list, find a way to achieve closure – even if it’s in the smallest amount. Think of an affirmation or personal mantra that you can apply to the hurt.
- Absolution – destroy the list. Burn it and consider this “reset ceremony” symbolic of a fresh start. I go a step further to say once it’s burned, consider it forgotten.
- Acknowledgement: People I love telling me that I would not succeed in life because I had my son at 18.
- Affirmation: Only God is capable of speaking over my life and only I am capable of making the decision to succeed or fail. I chose then and will continue to choose success.
- Acknowledgement: Failed “relationships”
- Affirmation: The relationships failed because those men were not the right ones for me. I am grateful for them because now I am better equipped to know what I want and don’t want in a man and ultimately, I am better off without them in my life. I am open to the man that is meant to be with me.
- Acknowledgement: Being disappointed because I expected the same from my “friends’ as I give to them
- Affirmation: A true friend will be with you for a lifetime. Many people come into my life for just a reason or a season and I have to learn not to have any expectations of them. I can only control me and my actions and I chose to surround myself with people who love me and give to me as equally as I give to them.
My Bold is BEAUTIFUL!July 18th, 2014
Day 29: 31 Days to Reset Your Life – Create a Bucket ListDecember 19th, 2013
Day 28: 31 Days to Reset Your Life – Let Go of Your PastDecember 16th, 2013
Day 6: 31 Days to Reset Your Life – Personal Mission Statement RevisitedDecember 10th, 2013
Day 26 & 27: 31 Days to Reset Your LifeDecember 7th, 2013